Wednesday, October 20, 2010

IZEE "Growing up in a logging camp": a chapter

Chapter One

I was ready to begin the fourth year we moved to Izee. Before then, the family had lived in Miles Bates, Oregon. Bates was a city-owned sawmill company, too. The biggest difference is that the houses were painted in Bates, on the outside.

My sister, Rita, had married his childhood sweetheart, in June, and had in Eugene, Oregon moved. We would not be able to see more than a couple of times a year - as was 90 miles on pavedHighway and then more than 200 miles away. My brother, Robert, had started his school in a few weeks. Robert would have been mounted in Canyon City, John Day, Oregon. The school had only Izee first eight grades in the two rooms.

Mom and Dad assured me, "Robert will be fine. It is removed only 58 km. You can go home on weekends and for spring break. We, as the importance of a good education is white."

Mother had neverattended high school, of course. Born Mildred Heck, with eight brothers and sisters, was in a laundry Baker City has been working since she was twelve years old. When the domineering mother, her mother never expected too much from my father. His children were his life and that he could handle everything.

The mother had never known his father, an Indian Nez Perse, who, like her mother, three other young men who died in Baker City, Oregon had. All I had known her father was that he was a Catholic. Hadmade his religion. His mother was a Nazarene. At that time some called 'Holly Rollers "and the mother did not want to embarrass the party.

Arm to be born almost deaf, he offered quite ridiculous for all children intelligent, was when my mother was. When he went to elementary school, sat on the back of their class, shame, their clothes hand-me-down. If called by a teacher, told me in general: "I do not know" instead of admitting that they could not hear the question. He brought upthrough books and has been anything but stupid. He wanted children. She would handle everything. His mother had expected, and she did.

"Oh Buddy, Rusty, look! There is the school ... He says IZEE School Dist # 31, above the door. The city must be just around the corner ..." Mom was happy.

I looked at. It was not as big as my old school, Bates. There were only two swings and two blades. Two classrooms and two annexes. We waited anxiously forIzee city to appear. It did not take.

"Well, that's just before you ... Here's another log truck comes to us, Bud ... For God's sake, move a bit'..."

"This is certainly a huge load of lumber, Mildred. They say they have enough trees to escape the next 20 years to beat. You run three teams in the loser to buy. That's a lot of feed hungry lumberjacks!"

"We just want good, Bud relax. Now.'ll Meet the superintendent and he will give us the job.I'll be here with you. We are good. "

"Remember that just because Mildred, cook the last hanging of a noose found on her stove. They said that his food was bad," Pope said. "He has good men eat beans every day," continued my father, with genuine sympathy for the occurrence of collinear for abused workers.

"Bud, you know very well that the poor man and his wife had problems. She said she committed suicide!"

"Well, it was not the first chef to make histhey are deployed in a field of recording! "

"Bud Miles, you stop to think about these things," Mama called.

"Well, he is not the last or, Mildred," Papa was ... before changing the subject. "Rusty, you are just in this city, my son?" Keep your eyes open for a lot of money, I saw some fresh tracks in the dust where he crossed the road behind. It looks like a black bear, or something has rubbed against the 'tree! "

I looked at. There were some dark chocolate hairshining on the broken branch of a juniper green. I could bark was missing some of the tree view as well. No one could sign up for the game on the ground like my dad.

I wanted to see the first Izee. I was really thirsty. The dust raised by the last log truck was still hung thick in our 1952 Ford. I rolled down the passenger window to try to get some fresh air. Mom gave me a piece of Juicy Fruit gum.

"Out of the other, Rusty. This is our mouthbetter taste. We are at all times, and I will give you a glass of cold water first. "

It seemed that he would never have reached Izee. The grooves and reliefs of the trail threw our car and we are helpless victims in every direction. Around every corner was a dirt road and another angle that could not be seen on. The school turned out to twelve miles from his hometown. Dad was restless.

"When we are with this man, take Mildred?"

"His name is Mr.Ellingson, Bud. He is waiting for us at 1:00 clock. It's not even 12:30. We are doing well. Step on it a bit '... And 'you do not even 30 mph ... The truck last log - that pass us by - had to go twice as fast on that road! "

The loud blast of the tornado behind us meant that another log truck drivers agreed with the mother. Dad moved to the right, as far as he could, without the road. The truck, loaded to the brim with fresh cut flowers pine roared past usbefore you roll up the window.

"I told you, Bud, let. Now, go!"

"I do not want to follow that man crazy, too close. Chains break on impact. We can not for the moment you stop the protocols by all the dust ... So, calm down, Mildred. I want us all alive if we get this mill. "

As the dust settled traces of the log truck in the distance, the speed increases to 35 hours, miles dad. Fluctuating more impact, a new layer of dust on the road car,constant over us. E 'was well over 100 degrees in the car and off. We sat on, in our search for the elusive field recording. I had almost given up hope on ever Izee. eight years old, you can keep the faith, but traveling in hot cars, only for so long.

Mom has seen first. "Look, Rusty! A real ball park!"

The firm has appeared from nowhere. Except for a few wooden benches, was the only thing that is in the ravine between the stream and aHill. The hill was a bit 'of trailer, perched on top.

The nearest points of interest were less than encouraging. More than one large following and make-do-phones with loose clothing on the grid lines. This was the "Upper Camp", where many of the less permanent employees lived with their families.

"Carry on, Bud is! These cabins not the most important city. It has real houses. They said that the mill will see if we get here."

We continued to - two corners - the "base camp".Rounding the last corner, we saw the smoke from a burner sawdust drifting slowly in three rows of wooden buildings, houses the central warehouse. vapor and gas bursts seen by the many operational Ellingson Timber Company sawmill building.

Arrogant, on one side of the creek, lying on the sawmill side of the large flat landscape. All but a few of the houses were near the other. As the grandstand of the stadium, housing assended adiquate seriesthe mountains because of the limited ground floor on their side of the stream.

In fact, this was Bach's "South Fork of the day John River. Forner Our Town," Bates, Oregon, "was 88 miles north-east and was the" Middle Fork. "There is also" North Fork "of these tributaries. After the forks all the players of the Main John Day", which flows to expand "the Columbia River."

In those days, saw mills of streams in remote areas where it was built near the forest. ASawmill could be expected to operate for 50 to 75 years. The cities were the necessary consequence of a body for the mill workers, loggers cut down trees, logging truck drivers -. to carry the fresh logs - timber and Trucker - Transport of finished boards, dryly.

The record companies who built the mills owned by the city. These were not "a city on horseback." There were no horses or cows or pigs or sheep. Especially families, the company had rented homes inThe companies, while the men kept in jobs, or to the mills. permanent workers at the mill, got the first choice for accommodation. The best of the work, the better the house provided by the cheap built on a structure. Most have two bedrooms, no matter how many children have been budgeted. Most families had one or two dogs that roamed freely.

The mill workers were "permanent." As long as it could ensure adequate and their families not to interferehad nothing, men have a job and a place to live. The company has all the rules. People with too many shots were fired in the family. There were always people who wanted a job. Many people have worked all their lives for this society, raising families, perfectly satisfied with their lot in life.

Then, as now, most of the problems when people feel isolated or blame each other for their discontent. If a worker is injured at work, the company took over the medical care.By accident, a good worker, was heavier, the company could find another job, he could do it. Unmarried men and those waiting for a home, "batch" in the barracks. Women could not work in the mills. Once grown, single women are not even allowed to live in cities.

Most cities are Sawmill had two sections, one in which "permanent" workers lived, and a second section, where workers "temporary" or seasonal residents with families. These could include contract or"Gypo Logger. People who have worked at the mills are generally not too close to the families of people who may be gone in a few months or years, if the job or contract ran out. Izee was a" field of registration. "The company, which owns all but the country has been built, did not claim this to be - or ever - a". Town "

Our first stop was at the Izee "Commissioner". That was the word for the store owned company. It was the only shop in the area. Can Goodsdog, food, detergent, chocolate bars of toilet paper and cigarettes were the most important terms in the warehouse. A gas pump was the first and the prices were skyrocketing. "Most people bought their food in John Day, when he went to cash the paycheck. There was no bank in Izee. No alcoholic beverages were sold in the field, either. The lease, in so that the mill may not need their homes, sales of light spirits of any kind. For the mother of the Rancherthe country was a devout Catholic. When the mill finally closed, all the evidence it needs to be eliminated from existence.

The wooden floor of the Commissioner was pitch dark, with oil recently. Pope watched my hesitation to connect. He assured me that everything was OK.

"They do, Rusty, to reduce wear and thus to keep the floor clean easier," he said before the man where he could find Mr. Ellingson.

Mom found and bought a refrigerator ice7 ounces 7-Up. Boy has good taste?

Johnson, commissioner of the Registrar, who was also head of the special place, has in the house of the Superintendent. Dad and Mom had applied for the job of implementing the "baker". It 'was an important position for the company, which has, too, had sales in recent years. Would not it be, nothing more.

Dad was barely in the door when he said Mr. Ellingson. "A man can not work an honest day on an empty stomach, you mustfeed it, and you have to feed him real good! "

The Superintendent agreed cheerful and determined to sell my parents to work.

The position requires that the "bakery, male and female players," work more than 16 hours a day - seven days a week. Of course, the work was not represented, but in reality, what would it take to be successful. Free, with position, have been linked to the living rooms and all meals for its workersFamily. Although no restaurant - food or other device - in Izee allowed, residents, occupied houses, neighbors or even friends were not allowed to eat at the bakery. No matter how many people were willing to pay.

Dad was offered the job as "chef" and his mother would be the "second". Their task would be to help Dad, baking bread for all types of deserts, and waiting tables. Together they would prepare meals for every single 45-80mill workers and loggers - - The men who lived in the dorms.

From 05.00 clock loggers and forestry crews will have to be signed for breakfast. The mill workers was at 6:00. At that time the forest workers ate their lunch boxes and left. All meals were deducted from their pay of employees. This was not a free lunch.

Lunch whistles mill an employee between the time the lunch break, jumping to 13.00 noon and watch a man had to walk to get there. The dinner was served5:30 to 7:30, seven days a week. The Superintendent spent more time in the sales job as my parents are trying to move it.

While parents about the details, which made the position of the left, I asked if I could run up to the swings that I noticed when we arrived. Mr. Ellingson thought it would be a good idea, a chance for me, some of the children playing there to play. He was very proud that the company recently had the enormous swingDesigned for all children in the fields of registration to operate.

Mom went there with a stern warning that my "new clothes".

"Not everyone is struggling," he said. "I heard that these children are Izee of the toughest and meanest on earth ... and watch out for rattlesnakes ... If you see a rusty, promise me that you do not go near him. Your father and I will come to take a few minutes. You see that big house in front of the swing? This is "the bakery".It will be our new home ... "

Rattlesnakes! We do not have rattlesnakes in Bates! I felt my heart pounding against my stomach as I was - what I believed to be -. "The Rattlesnake Road 'Hmm, I thought, if I kick the rocks in front of me, frightens them, but I did not want. Kick too far. I could use to kill a snake.

I could see two boys and two girls on the swing. They all looked at me. The girls look friendly, but the boys - who want tofight. They are both older than me. I remembered that my father had said: "The bigger they are, the more difficult to fall!" If you give me any problems, I show that boys are hard Bates, too.

I would like to be my brother, Robert, was the first time. Instead, he had with the Boy Scouts, went into camp that day. Robert can beat anyone. Well, anyone but Joe Okie. He taught me not to back down from a fight. I never! In any case, guys are looking at me weird. I joined theRock from the dirt road toward the swings. The biggest boy stepped forward to challenge me.

"Whatta ya doin 'Kickin this rock?"
"Lookin 'for rattlesnakes. What are you?"
"This is my rock!"
"Oh yeah?"
"Yes!"
"Here, we need each other!" I entered the rock on him.
He had long legs and jumped his way. "Where Da Ya Think yer goin '?"
"The Swing".
"He also ..."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yes, my father built 'em!"
"Mr. Ellingson saidis for anyone ... "
"Yeah, well, I'm next!"
OK, I said, willing to wait my turn. But I could see that "Long-Legs" I did not like.
"This is a funny t-shirt is pleased ... You Roy Rogers?"
"No?"
"Wearin Sec Roy Rogers ... ya list of exhibitors making the shirt?"
"It 's my mother bought for me -. -. ... This morning in John Day
"Oh yeah?"
"Yes, we want to do something about it? "
"If I do, you'll be sorry ..."
"Oh yeah?

Two buttons flew when he seizedme by the collar. But, my mind went faster than his finger! When I slugged in the stomach, doubled over long legs. So, I beat his snorting nostrils. The blood splattered everywhere. E 'splashed on my new shirt, too. Fear gripped me! Mom's gonna be crazy.

Our struggle was for that day. Long-Legs left his nose and swearing that "even after!" His faithful friend - who even looked a bit 'like Tonto - went with him. Sun was one of the girls who are onswings.

"You want to swing," the other girl asked me?
"Okay," I replied, trying to wipe the blood from my shirt.
"What's your name?"
"Rusty Miles."
"You're going to live here?"
"Yes, I think so."
"Which house?"
"That - right there ..." I said, pointing.
"Oh, well. I live on the street. I Diana. We can have friends."

We were flying high in the swing, when the Ford pulled up our family. My mother came down fromCar.

"Rusty, did you fall? Honey, are you okay? Look at your T-shirt, what ever
happened to you? "
"She started ... Mom, I did not understand ..."
"Shut up! Get in the car now ... before someone sees you like this ... Let's go, Bud does it again ... here, and the labor market, Monday morning." Mother called.

[End of Chapter One]

* * *

No comments:

Post a Comment